We are upgrading to the next phase of the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) which will mean that almost all our prescriptions will be processed electronically from Wednesday 15th July.
Please ensure that you have nominated a pharmacy that you wish your electronic prescriptions to go to. You can do this by either speaking to us or your chosen pharmacy.
Electronic prescriptions help save the NHS money.
You will receive your prescriptions in the same way as you do now.
This is an update of the current situation.
1. We are OPEN for our usual urgent and routine care but ALL doctors appointments are still triaged remotely in the first instance and further face to face appointment arranged by the doctor if determined to be most appropriate and required in agreement with the patient.
2. In order to maintain physical distancing, we aim to use remote consultations (telephone or video) where possible, but will make reasonable adjustments where necessary.
3. All patients attending the surgery in person will be required to wear face coverings and maintain 2 meter physical distancing wherever possible at all times within the waiting areas.
4. Using careful planning, appointment times (when required) are safely staggered to help maintain physical distancing in the waiting area.
5. Referrals to usual services in community and secondary care are made as clinically appropriate.
6. Please continue to use the 999 service for any medical emergencies to avoid delayed access to emergency care.
Most importantly, we thank all our patients and friends for all your support.
Continue to stay safe.
Dr Chinedu Odina
Wakering Medical Centre
Welfare Calls during Covid19
For extra help during Covid or for further information please visit:- https://essexwelfareservice.org/
Coronavirus update (24th March 2020)
Our main priority at this time is to keep our patients and staffs safe. We are working very hard to make sure that we are able to continue to provide the vital and essential care that our most vulnerable patients may require within the constraints of all our responsibilities to maintain social distancing and slow down transmissions of Covid-19.
1. We kindly advice that everyone should continue to use the email below for all prescription requests.
We advice that people should no longer attend the surgery in person without prior agreed appointments for collection of prescriptions, leaving a sample or attending an agreed appointment with a clinician. You will need to activate the intercom to confirm your attendance on arrival.
2. Please state on any prescription requests in the email the name of the local pharmacy that you wish to collect the prescriptions from.
3. People whose medications are dispensed at the surgery should endeavour to send their prescription requests via email well ahead of time and to contact the surgery prior to the collection to arrange a suitable time. The prescriptions will be prepared and handed out at the front door on their arrival.
4. The front door will be locked to the public and people only allowed into the surgery on an appointment basis. An intercom will be installed to assist with this to further provide adequate social distancing.
Please also maintain the 2 meters social distancing if a queue develops outside the surgery.
5. All requests for Isolation notes for people who are self isolating can be made online at https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/
6. There has been an increased demand for rescue packs for people living with chronic lung conditions. It is important to note that not everyone benefits from a rescue pack and in some cases can cause more harm than good. People will only require a ‘rescue pack’ if they have been assessed in the past and mutually determined that it is appropriate and safe for them to individually self-manage any exacerbations of their respiratory conditions with a rescue pack and that those exacerbations are frequent and will benefit from self management as opposed to other urgent care. People who use rescue packs without guidance may be putting themselves at risk.
We will advice that our patients who live with COPD or Asthma and suffer frequent exacerbations to arrange an initial telephone assessment for an agreed individualised self management plan with a clinician.
Remember that we are here and will be here for all of us who may require urgent care during this difficult period.
Regards and stay safe
Wakering Medical Centre.
Advice for Parents during Coronavirus
The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has produced a poster with advice for parents when their child is unwell or injured during coronavirus -
Coronavirus update (19th March 2020)
Due to the unavoidable and foreseeable reductions in staff and resources, we will kindly ask that,
1. All patients with urgent non-COVID health problems continue to contact the surgery via telephone for a remote assessment to take place. We will continue to deal with all our sick patients who have other nonCovid-19 problems.
2. We will advice Patients to contact the surgery by email rather than telephone for any non-urgent matters until 30th April. Including requests for prescriptions, sick notes, insurance letters etc. This will reduce the anticipated long wait on the phone for our patients who may be very ill, worried or have vulnerable loved ones.
For all non-urgent matters/queries please send an email to- Wakering.firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not use this email if you feel unwell.
3. The nurses will now be triaging all nursing appointments to reduce footfalls, postpone avoidable physical attendances and non-essential procedures. They will also wear physical protection equipment suitable for primary care.
4. We will only be booking urgent blood tests for the blood test service from 20th March to minimise footfall within the premises and increase distancing.
5. We will advice everyone to now try to establish an electronic prescribing service as soon as possible. Please send an email to Wakering.email@example.com for guidance on how to do this, if you wish to have one set up. This will enable us to prescribe medications and send them directly to the pharmacy remotely.
It is our aim to do everything in our ability to stay functional and in service for any of our patients who may need urgent non-Covid19 care throughout this epidemic that is not severe enough for 999. Please continue to follow the NHS 111 government guidance for symptoms suspected to be Covid-19.
All non-urgent requests for follow up, routine appointments, results, medications queries etc will be booked as a telephone consultations and you will be notified.
If you are unclear about anything, please contact the surgery via email
Best wishes and stay safe.
Dr C Odina.
Coronavirus update (18th March 2020)
In line with the current NHS guidance, we have made some adjustments to our clinic appointments to accommodate any potential, sudden & foreseeable fluctuations in resources, staffs and predominantly for our patients safety.
1. Appointments, including routine and urgent can be booked as usual but will be conducted remotely by the clinician over the telephone on the booked day.
We are also developing video consultation capabilities and will let everyone know.
2. If it is determined by the clinician that it is in the best interest of the patient to attend the surgery in person, the clinician will arrange for the patient to attend for a face to face consultation, usually on the same day. The clinician may wear personal protective equipment.
3. All other routine engagements like drug dispensing, phlebotomy(blood tests) and routine nurse dressings, jabs are continuing for now.
We appreciate all your remarkable understanding and support.
Dr C Odina.
Coronavirus update (16th March 2020)
In line with government guidance, the Wakering Medical Centre has made significant changes to the appointment service.
Appointments can still be arranged as usual (except online) but you will not be required to attend in person until a doctor has determined that it is necessary and safe for you to do so after conducting a telephone consultation and assessment.
The surgery will continue to send regular SMS updates to the mobile phone numbers that we hold on record.
I will continue to update this group throughout this rapidly changing and challenging time.